View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Pot equity questions

Well, my example is pretty basic and I'm only trying to focus in on comprehending pot equity and how it applies in small stake no limit games. I get implied odds - you add the amount that your believe your opponent will call on future rounds of betting to the current pot (I know, that's kind of vague, but that's the general idea).

I don't really think it applies in my scenario because if an opponent is willing to make a sizable bet to protect their hand (for the sake of simplicity, I'm assuming we're playing heads up here, he has flopped top pair, but there is also a flush draw on the board), I don't think he's very likely to make another large bet if you have only called (thereby indicating that you likely don't have top pair and are drawing) AND the turn card happens to complete the flush.

I guess I'll paraphrase my question - what is the use of pot equity in no limit hold 'em? I thought maybe its big "pro" would be that it aids you in figuring out the rough maximum your bet should be (i.e. your bet doesn't exceed your pot equity), but Pzhon makes a valid point.