View Single Post
Old 08-01-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: The Fed Ex Cup, your thoughts?

As mentioned, we will have to see. But overall I think it will be bad. The playoffs are forced and phony really. There have been negative consequences already, and there may be more. I have read some sponsors are upset because they pay a bunch of money to put on the tournament and then Fedex gets their logo on everything. I think Arnold had to fight some to keep fedex stuff at a bit lower visibility at Bay Hill. The Western Open got dumped/converted to BMW. The International can't get a sponsor or the date they need, the Washington tournament gets dumped and treated poorly basically from what I read about it, and lo and behold Tiger gets a limited field event in Washington with the International's date, at a course other than the one the tour was going to renovate or whatever. Not blaming Tiger, but the tour went away from some established "partners." The events after the fedex cup are marginalized, and don't get the Masters invitation. Granted these events had to compete with football and weren't huge, but the fall schedule may have some problems. One other problem with the fedex cup thing was making it harder to get into tournaments in the early part of the year. This makes it very hard for guys coming out of Q-School or off the Nationwide Tour with lower priority to get in to many tournaments early on.

It will take a while to see the overall effect tho.