View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: FTP 5/10: Very passively played KK

I didn't cap preflop for deception purposes hoping it will lead to more bets going in postflop. Usually my intent is to checkraise the turn unless the flop falls in such a way that I feel villian might not bet the turn in which case I'll checkraise the flop or sometimes donk the turn.

This flop was was bad. If we assume villians range is TT+ and AK I'm actually a small dog here against his range.

The real problem with raising at some point is that I'm going to lose more when behind then make when I'm ahead. When villian has TT or JJ (and sometimes AA) I'm going to be 3bet or raised on the next street losing a total of around two bets more than when I just call down (not counting the times I spike a king). Being raised wouldn't be so bad if I could fold to a 3bet but I don't like that idea as villian could be overplaying QQ or semibluffing AK. When I'm ahead and villian has QQ we just gain only one additional bet unless he overplays his hand (again not counting times when he spikes a queen). Against AK we gain 0.8 bets or so because now now villian has a real chance of outdrawing us with a queen or an ace. As another poster pointed out there are a few more combinations of the hands that we beat than beat me uut not enough to make up for the extra bet I lose when behind.

Btw, if I had open raised from a later position I wouldn't take this line as it would be very possible that I was being isolated by hands such as KQ or AJ.