View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 10:16 AM

Default What\'s your preferred work-life balance?

I'm sitting on a conference call last night about who-knows-what, and I start staring at the clock as it's already past 8; however, everyone on the phone is still going off on random tangents left and right. I was pretty much obsessing over the fact that I just wanted to go home, while everyone else seemed to be working hard and very interested as to the meaningless dribble anyone had to say.

So that got me thinking that everyone obviously has a different work-life balance. Some people don't mind putting in working 12 hour days, while some people (like myself) really get burned out very easily. Perhaps it's because I don't love my job - I just don't hate it.

How big of a priority is a good work-life balance to you? Would it change a lot if you loved your job vs. having a job you just "tolerate"?

I'm the kind of person who really tresures my personal and social life. I'll work my 40-45 hours per week with zero complaints. But when it starts getting into 10-12+ hour days on average, that's when I have problems. Yet many of the people that work for my company seem to put these 10-12+ hour days in on a regular basis and it doesn't seem to bother them.