View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Getting Killed in Vegas 2/4 Games and Can\'t Find a Way Out

I play in games like this as well. I pretty much think of any bet or raise I make as a value bet. If most people are calling I'd better have the goods. The great thing is you can just wait for a good hand and the calling stations will still pay off. This is only true in some games. They tend to be rather boring (and frustrating as you have pointed out) because you end up folding so much. The nice thing is you can generally play more drawing hands (suited connectors, small pairs & Broadway cards) because you aren't likely to be raised.

I played in a game last night where people would just call pf with AK-AJ, KQ (suited or not) and some big pairs. They are so afraid of getting "sucked out" on that they aren't aggressive. It's funny because this very thing lets the drawing hands in.

The LAG version of this is a bit different. If there is only 1 LAG I often isolate him with big-med hands. If there are multiple LAGs I tend to wait for a big hand and let the LAGs do the betting for me (unless they slow down).

This might sound similar to what you see, but you end up losing. It happens. I find that I might be stuck a rack in an 1hr, but 20 min later get my rack back +$20-50. These LAG games can take your $ quickly, but pay very well too.

Like someone posted earlier reading SSHE should help a lot. You might also consider getting a pshyc book as well. The Poker Mindset seems to speak to dealing with these ups and downs well. It is a little more touchy feely than other poker pshyc books, but it is good for dealing with tilt associted with what look like losing streaks.