View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Ask TheMetetron about living in or visiting Buenos Aires, Argentin

WARNING: avoid WaytoBAway.com at all costs. Aside from poor response to calls and e-mails they thieved our entire security deposit (a whole month of rent) with no reasonable justification. From day one the stubborn old lady who owns the apartment refused to give us the remote for the A/C, which rendered it useless and caused multiple sleepless nights. After a few weeks she finally agreed to let us use it once a second A/C was installed.

The night the owner came to sign the contract extension (including the more specific clause about the A/C) with the two Waytobaway scrubs she noticed that we had figured out how to turn the A/C on the low/fan setting without the remote (note: we were never told anything about not being allowed to turn it on, she just claimed it would break if we put it on high). Basically she had an aneurysm and demanded that we pack up and leave the apartment immediately. In a state of stunned disbelief at her absurd overreaction, my friend and I packed up our stuff and were fortunately able to get a hold of a friend who let us stay at her place. Let it be known that the two waytobaway guys made no effort to persuade her otherwise and acted like any effort would be futile. While we were packing up our bags the owner and Waytobaway guys were back to talking to eachother in Spanish like family again.

There is no doubt that there are legal avenues we could pursue but it would likely be a headache and certainly less profitable than just spending the time working. Maybe I should just hire a team of Indian virtual assistants to spread the word about their thievery? Let it be known if you have any advice regarding good methods for doing so via the internet etc.