View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 12:35 PM

Default Links LS and other golf sims

It happens that I found OOT through a lurker here, I was only reading the TV forum (LOL) at the time and he pointed me to it. It was way down at the bottom of the forums at the time and I may have never found it. I was astounded by the volume of the forum and the wittiness of most of the regulars. Eventually a thread came along that I was interested enough in posting in that I regged. Kinda funny it took that long because back in the day visitors had to read in threaded mode (ugh).

Anyway, I knew said lurker from my many years playing Links LS and contributing to its forums. In fact, that is the only other online communitah I've ever invested much time in, and the only other one in which I've met various posters.

I loved that game. One of the happiest days of my internet life was in 1996, when Access Software introduced the patch to play online. A couple of things that contributed to it getting old: you could only connect to one other person, so unless there were multiple people at one end or the other (very unusual) it was only heads-up. Also, the pin positions were fixed, for whatever reason you were stuck with the same flags every time you played online. Somehow the script didn't allow for sending different hole locations, even though in those versions there were five per hole.

Not too long after this changed and you could play things like alternate shot, Wolf, scramble, etc. and it was really super awesome. Our site even had a mock Ryder Cup in 1997 and me and a friend took on two Aussies in the middle of the night ("Ryder Cup" needed to allow for all non-US players out of necessity). The site spawned the best Links LS players in the world, but when Microsoft bought the game and eventually allowed a click-thru to get to a lobby and discussion area the other sites sort of faded. They're still in existence though.

Does anyone have any experiences to share with Links LS, Jack Nicklaus Golf, or Tiger Woods golf?