View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 05:42 PM

Default NFL Draft Hypothetical

Just a hypothetical I was thinking about driving back from Austin all by my lonesome, earlier today...

What would happen if the NFL split the draft into 3-4 rounds of Offense only, and 3-4 rounds of Defense only? Meaning that teams couldn't really "load up" on D, or O, in any given series of years.

I'm guessing within 5 years or so, teams that are either really good offensively (say Colts), and really good defensively (say Bears), would move more to the center, creating more..not "parity"..but say less variance during singular games.

I understand that, like boxing, "style" makes for great games (big offenses versus big defenses, etc.) but would the games be more exciting due to the assumed decrease in variance? Or would football turn into "coinflipping"?

Overall thoughts on the subject, please. Would you like, or dislike this idea? Would it even change variance, or parity like I'm imagining it would, or not? I haven't thought too much about it, but I want to see what more knowledgeable folks have to say.