View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Ask garcia1000 about Hong Kong

Dear forums: WTF? I typed in a long response and it said my form was no longer valid. I am mad.

Here's summary points because this sucks.

[ QUOTE ]
what's the local wildlife like? are there any good places to go and watch things - eg. the delta?

[/ QUOTE ]

- wild boars, monkeys in rural areas.
- Mai Po marshes, a large wetlands nature reserve for migratory birds. Highly recommended for bird-watchers. Need to book in advance.

[ QUOTE ]
when we stayed at the YMCA hotel (the one in central, not TST), there were a bunch of fishermen down at the waterfront. most caught nothing that I saw, and a few had some very smal (~3" long) rockfish type of catch in their buckets. is this really the best fishing around and, are these small fish worth eating? how safe is it to eat fish out of HK harbor?

[/ QUOTE ]

- No, the fish are not worth eating. They are like giant poos containing many smaller poos. Untreated sewage is dumped into the harbour.

[ QUOTE ]
Culture vultures for sure. Just want to see what is in/around Hong Kong that makes for good touristing.
And shopping will have to be included unfortunately.
So far I have been told: Victoria's Peak, Po Lin Monastery, Star Ferry and Kowloon.
Agree? What else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Peak - agreed. Good views on the rare days without massive air pollution.

Po Lin - agreed. They also have the finest public toilet in the world. Definitely do not miss the toilet. http://sbanboy.wordpress.com/2006/06/
This should probably be a tourist attraction in and of itself.

Star Ferry - agreed. A good but short experience.

Kowloon - ?

Others - visit Causeway Bay, Tsim Sha Tsui at night-time for a city experience (similar to visiting Times Square in NYC)

Pacific Place or IFC Mall for high-end shopping. You can buy designer-designed designs there.

WTF? I am still pissed at how it rejected my form. I spent a lot of time typing that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]