View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 05:23 PM

Default Re: To Catch a Predator: Creating Crime

AS a whole, I think all of the guys (very few exceptions-1 or 2) from the 2-3 shows I have seen are predators. Despite their claims otherwise, they troll teen chat-rooms and target potential victims for sex.

I fully agree that the decoys are open, encouraging participants. But only after the exchange veers into inappropriate conversation.

Knowing basic, reward-based psychology, I would also bet that, although not shown, the decoys very likely entrap some of these guys. But, for the most part, and as shown, the men are the ones initiating the sexual conversations and the contact.

The problem with the way you posed the question in your poll, because of the questions unintential influence, is that the results are skewed.

I agree that your greater question is valid and interesting.

The authorities are very often creating "false crime situations" to arrest people who may otherwise not have committed any criminal act. I can think of many examples. Prostitution, drugs, stolen merchandise, etc. If you have ever watched COP's more than twice you have seen all of these.

Essentially, these stings are designed to punish the marketplace. The classic example is targeting johns. Another one, is targeting gay men at rest stops, public parks etc. This last is at least sometimes entertaining, because it often turns out a republican or a preacher.

The worst example I can think of is a MI case involving a then 17 year old who was targeted by an undercover police officer. The kid was a drug user who was solicited to find the undercover cop a source for cocaine. The amount was approximately 1-2 kilos. Not an amount for casual use. But, not a Columbian cartel shipment either.

Long and short is that the kid did put the cop with the source, hoping to be "tipped" in free coke, he was instead arrested and given a mandatory life sentence.

The "wrongness" of the above MI cocaine sting results, is not lost on anyone familar with the case. At the same time, the laws are there and well known. Few, if any, break these laws in ignorance. Many are not knowldgeable of the consequences. But, they do know that are in violation.

So to answer your question, on the whole, I think most approve of the "sting" process. Targeting sexual predators is merely a very popular example.