View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Balancing Flop Caps

Good stuff James.

[ QUOTE ]
Now maybe elindauer can come in and blow it up showing me where I’m completely wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your range is a significant improvement on my initial attempt. The biggest thing you are doing is to consider how your capping range effects your calling range. My first shot left the calling range far too weak. That's a HUGE improvement. I think your handling of overpairs is great. Saving some draws / made hands for turn raises / semibluffs is very strong. I really like your logic for choosing which hands go in which range... you mix concepts like waiting with cards whose value changes a lot on the turn with game theory concepts like avoiding being exploited very nicely. This is exactly the kind of thinking that leads players from good to great, I think.

You are making a few small mistakes though. Here are the ones I notice.

[ QUOTE ]
QQ(1 combo b/c 2/3 the time I wait for the turn)

[/ QUOTE ]

QQ has 6 combinations. 1/3 of 6 = 2.

[ QUOTE ]
I often use the average pot size as the primary function in determining what combinations of drawing hands I will wait and raise on the turn(feel free to jump in if you don’t think this is correct).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally correct. Pot size is critical in determining how you play your range.

[ QUOTE ]
When I raise it makes the pot 9bb and it indicates to my opponent that he will need to put in 2 more bb to call me down. This gives him effectively 4.5-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't quite right. As stated in other posts, your turn raise doesn't obligate you to bet the river. In fact, if you know he's thinking about calling the turn only if he can call the river, you'd be a fool to follow through with a river bet with your entire range. You'd have to bet less. But then his turn calling range would be wrong. But then you'd bluff more. Back and forth.

The right answer is, I think, to think of each street a bit more in isolation. So focus on him getting 9:1 to call the turn, and semi-bluff accordingly. Note though that your bluffing hands have excellent equity, and take that into account. For example, if your bluffing range has 20% equity, then:

made + .2*draw : .8*draw should offer him 9:1 (where made = # of made combos you raise, and draw = # of draw combos you semibluff raise).

Rearranging...

draw = made / 7

in a pot this size. So your raising range actually encourages him to call a bit more than the optimal strategy would suggest, not a bit less (I think).

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize it’s taken me so long to respond to this post. I also apologize my response was so longwinded.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no other way it could be. We're in the very early stages of understanding this logic, so we have to discuss both the process and the results at the same time. It'll get faster with practice.

good luck.
Eric