View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: National Parks and Camping (advice for me + general discussion)

Since you are already going to be in Colorado, I'd reccommend Rocky Mountain National Park. Your weddding is probably in Denver/Colorado Springs? So RMNP is only a 2 hour drive or so away.

I grew up near there so I may be biased, but I think it's pretty underrated as far as parks go. Regarding your other questions:

1) You won't have to saw your arm off. Leg, maybe. No, just get a good map of the park. Not a tourist, drive-by map, a detailed map. I assume you have a compass or GPS. I'm not sure if there is any type of cell recepition there. I would be suprised if there were. The only other thing I would tell you is to not get into a serious rock climbing there, because you're toast if something goes awry and you are alone.

2) There may be wildlife migrations that cause officials to prohibit some areas from camping. The ranger station will let you know about this. In fact, you may want to check with them before your trip as far as getting a permit. I don't know what those rules are nowdays.

3) Tent? Yes. The major road in the park, Trail Ridge Road usually opens on Memorial Day. Why so late? Because of all of the snow. Snowing in June is not uncommmon. Regardless of what mountian park you visit, don't underestimate how cold it can get at night at 12,000 feet.

Well I'm done with my pitch for Rocky Mountain National Park. Good luck wherever you go. It sounds like one of those trips you can look back on when you're 85 and brag to the grandkids about.