View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Another Workout Thread (5 questions) Help me out

1. I just started doing two-a-days late last week, going to gym early in the AM for 90 minutes doing basic exercises (abs/lower back/stretches) along with 45min of cardio...in the evening I do about 45min of heavy freeweights and 30min cardio (all cardio is done on the upright bike)

You are doing too much. Keep it up if you like, but your body will eventually counter.

the problem is I feel kinda bloated and gassy when I exercise in the early AM...is this normal or could something be causing this?

Maybe normal for you, not a big deal.

2. I would like to work my lower back everyday but I'm not sure if the lower back is a muscle group similar to the abdominals and calves which can be worked everyday. Am I setting myself for a lower back injury? (For lower back I use the apparatus where my legs are locked and I'm bending over and lifting back up at a 45 degree angle. I'm also using a 25lb plate for resistance).

3. I am not eating prior to my morning workouts. I feel I do not have to because I'm not really doing any heavy muscle exercises. However, should I be eating something small at least? 1/4 cup of oatmeal perhaps?

Why do you ask? Trying to lose weight? If so I say yes eat something small, although idiots will disagree. The point is to tell your body you are not starving, keeping your metabolism moving.

4. I'm having trouble reading my books while doing cardio b/c of the loud music the gym plays. I blast my ipod in retaliation but its still hard to really soak in the words plus my ears are practically ringing. Any solutions to this problem?

In ear headphones. You can go to can audiologist and have custom made inserts for the shure series headphones. I did this and enjoy them very much. $150.

5. Also a basic diet question...If I'm only taking in 1,000 cals/day but there is 100g of protein in there, will my muscles grow properly or will the low cals make me burn more muscle than gain? I weight about 175lbs and am 5'9"

You will gain an amount of muscle that is near zero, or less than zero, depending on your original fitness level. As you maintain this course you will certainly lose muscle.