View Single Post
Old 11-27-2007, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Why Im no longer an ACist

[ QUOTE ]
3) Failure to find a shade of grey to their absolute property-rights

[/ QUOTE ]

And it is impossible to have any meaningful debate on this point without someone legitimizing the exclusive ownership thousands of acres of land (which was here millions of years before them and will be here millions of years after them) with an argument like: "of course this is the case because you aren't sharing your apple with the whole world" or some other stark contrast that is irrelevant in the debate. They are almost evangelical on this point and just as blind to their irrationality. You could ask them: What makes humans so different from every other species in that humans can stake out a territory and just by staking that territory out they automatically assume exclusive rights to it for the rest of their lives and every other member of their species should respect that? But it wouldn't matter, they would fail to see the point.

Edit: The above does not apply to all ACists or even to AC theory itself. But applies to many of the preachers of ACism on this board. Like Christian fundamentalists, these AC disciples will too often use arguments for ACism that are not necessary, they refuse to acknowledge that some things are unknown and make assertions as fact, and when challenged on any point they simply regurgitate their subjective values as if they are absolute truths (which they are not) rather than just stick to making the case why others should adopt their subjective values based on their own merit. Rather than name who falls into this group (would be a long list), I'll just name the only two I can think of off the top of my head that do not: AlexM and hmkpoker.