View Single Post
Old 11-01-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: the \"you win\" rule

[ QUOTE ]
Once, a hundred years ago, I opened the pot in draw poker with pocket kings. An opponent who had previously passed (in draw, a pass is not a fold), called and drew 3. Knowing this opponent, I knew he likely had aces, so I drew one and bet out. He called. I tapped the table, but I didn't really mean "you win," I meant, "Nice call, you very likely win." I tabled my kings and he looked and looked and layed his hand down and he had kings and I won with my kickers.

He protested, the floor was called, and I was awarded the pot. The cardroom (Normandie) did not have the "you win" rule; I likely would have been awarded the pot anyway by this particular floorman, but that's another story.

I've seen players tap the table after they call an opponent who has tabled his hand on the river, and then turn over a winning hand. On occasion it is an actual misread, but more often, it is indeed a slowroll, and an ugly one: a normal slowroll leaves you unsure about whether you have won; this kind, where your opponent taps the table, make you think you have won for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Today a table tap seems to have many different meanings I see people do it in all different situations and having different apparent meanings that i never assign any meaning to it anymore.

Of course a hundred years ago things were different.