View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/26 - 500k buyin pt 4 - Spoilers all o

[ QUOTE ]
Jamie Gold is just a LAG degenerate, I'm sure if he tightened up he wouldn't be that bad a player.

[/ QUOTE ]

He would lose more slowly, but he would still be a loser. Jamie's problems have little to do with how many hands he plays, IMO. I think he has a fundamentally flawed conception of how you bet and make money off of a hand.

I don't think Jamie's problem is that he's devoid of talent. IMO his problem is his bankroll and the fact that it didn't require any discipline for him to acquire it. He struck a once-in-a-lifetime motherlode. He didn't come up naturally, so he didn't earn the knowledge every player picks up on their climb towards the top.

Jamie should do one of two things:

1) Retire from professional poker. He can still play, but play purely recreational stakes where getting stacked would have no effect on his lively hood. Maybe he could play the WSOP ME annually as a novelty. I'm sure someone would sponsor him.

2) Go down. Waaaay down. Pretend he's starting from scratch. Hire any one of the fine coaches he could get on this very site and resolve not to play big stakes again until he can crush smaller games. If he's as talented as he probably thinks he is, he might be back playing HSP in a few years (and this time not as an inducement to get real pros salivating).

Unfortunately for him, I don't think his ego could handle either of those suggestions, and I seriously doubt he has the discipline to adopt the latter course of action. The truth is that he's functionally indistinguishable from Guy, Chamanara or Nasseri, only he doesn't know it; and that's very, very dangerous for him.