View Single Post
Old 09-17-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Any upside to allowing my 8-year-old to compete in beauty pageants

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But who am I to stand in the way of my kid's dreams? Maybe she'll go on to win Miss America and become a big Hollywood movie star.

[/ QUOTE ]

She could start competing 10 years from now and have about the same chance (maybe better, because of not being burned out).

It would be much, much better if she accomplished something not based on being judged by others on appearance. Too many really pretty girls grow up thinking that's all they really need in life. There's no reason to reinforce that belief.

Better that she learn to compete in ways that require more than just looks, be it athletics, grades, writing, music......

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this very strongly. This is probably the worst way to get used to thinking of "achievement" -- based on your looks and ability to fit into a kind of creepy scenario and come out on top in it. I'd rather my kid achieved anything else than a prize for her looks and, ahem, "talent."

Plus, these things can be very time-consuming and detract from being with friends and doing other things. I wouldn't surrender that lightly. It probably contributes a lot more, and in a good rather than bad way, to a kid's social development.