View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Calling Pre-flop? Strongly Consider 3-Betting Instead (NLTRN The

xSCWx, I think there are really two different types of LAG style. There's the maniac LAG and the decent LAG who can let go of a hand. Against the maniac LAG, 3-betting will generally just bloat the pot OOP so you're right. The thinking LAG can certainly fold however, so he's the one I'd be a lot more inclined to reraise pf.

TNixon you're absolutely right -- there's no point in 3-betting a calling station unless you're doing it for value.

daveT, what are your position stats? I can't imagine having a higher chip profit from the BB than the button in even a marginally deep situation. What is your strategy to achieve this? In the hand you give, I'd check/shove the flop with an ace-high and two overs, and if you checked behind I'd c-bet the turn. With a weaker hand where I only had one over, I'd c-bet the flop and give it you if you stayed in and I didn't improve. Against a 70/70, I'd probably -- very roughly -- fold 75%, 3-bet 20%, call 5%.

3-betting certainly isn't a cure-all, but there are no great options playing OOP. Folding a lot of hands is fine IMO, but those you do play should often be 3-bet rather than called IF there's a realistic chance your opponent will concede pre-flop.