View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Calling Pre-flop? Strongly Consider 3-Betting Instead (NLTRN The

That makes me uncomfortable that you are losing money out of the BB, but I will take the sample size argument into consideration. There are players who actually earn more money out of the BB than the SB.

The turbos vs regular games is a strong consideration here. The turbo players tend to raise every hand, but still play too tight, thus negating any advantage that I feel I have by 3-betting lightly.

I play 70/70, what would you do versus me?

If you 3-bet me too often, you are going to face a few tough decisions. HUSNGs seems to feature only one or two hands that really matter. I am willing to take risks with a deep stack. If you 3-bet me with AT and the board comes down 258, what are you going to do when I call you?

What are you going to when the average opponent calls you. At this point you are playing a bloated pot OOP, not knowing why I am calling.

This is for one of three reasons:
I think you are FOS and I hit that 2.
I am on a draw and sense weakness and will float you or expect to get a free card.
I am calling with complete trash to see if I can't steal this pot on the turn.

The decisions are all on you. If you are able to manipulate your opponent into playing poorly, and love to make hero calls, then three-betting too often has advantages.

A feature of No Limit is just that: you can get your chips in the middle at any time you please.