View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: VERY serious friend related situation

[ QUOTE ]
The guy I represent currently denies that he even touched her. But I happen to think he's lying. My best guess is that he was cuddling her (which I don't think is a crime), that she woke up and he knew it, that he proceeded to fondle her (which I view as an awkward pass), and that it then became reasonable for him to assume consent on her part when she neglected to resist or utter a word.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. What kind of jury would convict the guy based on those facts. A girl says he touched her stomach while she was sleeping in his bed, then she woke up, but took no action to stop the touching. The guy says he didn't touch her at all.

I can't imagine how any rational person could say that this guy was guilty of sexual abuse beyond a reasonable doubt. What evidence did the prosecution have that he even touched her at all other than her say so? What does the sexual abuse statute say? Even if what she is alleging is true, it seems like a pretty far cry from "sexual abuse", unless the statute is really crazy/overly broad.