View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: Can we just get preflop out of the way? part I

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think people like me who are trying to learn nl should play super rockish pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is correct, but only if you're playing FR.

In 6-max the blinds come around so quickly that it forces you to get in there mix it up with lesser holdings. That's why expert players clean up at 6-max - their ability to play marginal hands well after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I don't think this is nearly as important in NL as in limit. Blinds are so small compared to stack sizes that defending your blinds becomes less important. Not that you can let people walk all over you, but you don't need to steal/defend with as much crap as you do in limit. Especially since you're out of position in the blinds.

My preflop chart for 6 max:

UTG: 22+; A9o+; A2s+; 54s+; 64s+; Kjo+; Qto+; Jto+; J8s+; Q9s+; K9s+.
Playing all those hands will give you an UTG VPIP of 25.8%; mine's actually around 20%, because I'll only play the weaker hands about 1/2 the time, like when I haven't played a hand in a while, or I feel like I have excellent control over the table, or there's a couple of deep fish. If you're just starting NL, you might want to eliminate the unsuited broadway, weaker aces, and low connectors entirely at first.

UTG+1: Pretty much the same; toss in a few suited kings, and play the marginal hands 70-80% of the time now.

CO: Some high offsuit connectors, suited 3 gappers.

Button: All aces, all suited kings, all broadway, all but the worst suited connectors, good offsuit connectors, decent kings and queens.

Having position after your blind steal fails is pretty important.