View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Don\'t taze me drone!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That is NOT why your profession gets picked on more than most. Not even close. The reason your profession gets picked on more than most is the same exact reason the excuse "Well there are [censored] in every profession" holds very little weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you imagine a surgeon using that excuse? "I was having a bad day, I cut a few corners so I could go home early, what's the big deal?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, there are bad apples in surgery AND THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and so very extreme measures are taken to prevent these bad apples. Institutional measures, personal measures, whatever it takes, because we simply cannot have bad apples in certain professions. Wal Mart employees who pocket money out of the till, yeah ok, cops, surgeons, airline pilots, different ballgame.

But surgery (and medicine in general) is a lot closer to the cop end of the spectrum (maybe I should say cops are closer to the medicine end of the spectrum) than the airline end. The airline industry is, honestly, pretty amazing when it comes to stuff like this. They have taken so many institutional steps to prevent error and abuse, they are pretty much the closest thing to perfect that exists, at least that I know of. They show that it can be done if its important enough. If we are going to have police, then I think its important enough.