View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: How many online pros average +500k a year in the world?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

Just for a humorous comparison, the average salary of Goldman Sachs's 22,000 employees last year was over $500k. The top 250 Goldman employees averaged about $7M each. Sorta sick how little money there really is in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

As the article mentions, this is a mean rather than a median, i.e. most people in Goldman's get paid a lot less than this. Still pretty amazing though.

The reason why there's not a lot of money in poker is because - well, all you're doing is playing poker. People with real jobs do something useful with economic value added. Most of the guys who are smart enough to kill high stakes poker games could make more as securities traders. Slightly different work ethic / lifestyle though.

[/ QUOTE ]

fund managers and traders don't really add economic value either, they are just in a better racket.

OP's question was averages 500k/year. I take that to mean has EV of 500k/year, which, even if the games were static (i.e. not getting tougher due to people busting out, same number spread, same distribution of games, etc.) I think your number is on the order of 20-40 who could maintain that EV over a three year stretch.