View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: BarryG - Online Poker should be legal in 6 months

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ask yourself this: why should a professional poker player be treated any different tax-wise than any other professional?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that poker income should be treated equally, but the US tax system is fraught with examples of inequality based on arbitrary rules. Think about renters versus homeowners or married versus single for examples.

And look no further than taxes on tobacco and alcohol for why poker may get taxed differently.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats why I made the distinction between sites and players. I would expect them to tax sites in some way - but that is the cost of doing business, just like pretty much every business is taxed.

What I am saying is that there is not going to be any NEW tax on a PLAYER'S poker winnings. They will be treated just the same as they are now.

Would they tax the sites so high that they have to charge a rake no one would pay? Then they get no tax money, and all of us continue to play at offshore sites that also give the US no tax money.

If we get legality, we are going to get some form of regulation, true, and that will include some form of tax revenue for the Feds that may affect the rake slightly. But stop the "doom and gloom" tax predictions (not you personally), they are just not realistic.

Skallagrim