View Single Post
Old 12-25-2006, 08:17 AM

Default Re: More Leyser-Gold drama

[ QUOTE ]
Why would Leyser settle now? The judge who will make the final ruling at trial, just said that Leyser is very likely to prevail at that trial. That's huge. And Gold & Chan have said there is no obligations to Chan. And BoDog is now paying Jaime, not the other way around.

This is slam dunk for Leyser. Junior law students can argue over whether there is "consideration", but the judge in the trial has already ruled there is. It's like arguing with Theo Epstein over his posting fee for D-Mat. You may be right that Theo paid too much, but the deal is done and the issue is over.

If Leyser wanted to settle, he could offer Jaime $400k-500k to go away. That unlocks the money now, not six months from now, which has some value to Leyser. And it protects him from the small risk that Jaime's lawyer can come up with a new defense, get a new judge or find some other strategy to get the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You answered your first question in your third paragraph. I personally do believe that from everything I read, Leyser would prevail. But it would be irresponsible of Leyser's attorneys to assume a slam dunk based on the judges recent comments. Yeah, the best deal for their client may be to play it out to a final decision by the judge but we are far from that point. Until they get to that point, settlement is a preferred option.

You are correct about the public pronouncements about Bodog and Chan but my cynical side tells me that Chan is due some cash or was paid after all this hit the fan.