View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 08:16 PM

Default MMA and Boxing Fights of the Year

There's only a couple FOTY candidates left in either sport, so let's hear what you guys have as your top fights of 2007. While I put them in the same thread, please keep boxing and MMA separate and refrain from the tired boxing vs. MMA debate.

I didn't watch much boxing this year outside of Mayweather/De La Hoya, Calzaghe/Kessler, the Contender finale, and Cotto/Mosley. Obviously, all of those fights have been touted as FOTY caliber.

I have watched a lot of MMA this year, so I'll go through a list of my favorites with a brief description:

Takanori Gomi vs. Nick Diaz from Pride 33 - Gomi comes into this fight as the consensus #1 lightweight in the world. Diaz had recently been let go by the UFC after finishing out his contract with 2 straight wins. Gomi absolutely rocks Diaz early and busts up his face (Diaz ended up with a broken orbital bone). Diaz is game though, and comes back after Gomi burns through his gas tank. Diaz ends the fight with only the second successful gogoplata in MMA history.

Quinton Jackson vs. Dan Henderson at UFC 75 for the UFC Light Heavyweight Title - Henderson is the only man to simultaneously hold two belts in different weight classes, while Rampage Jackson looks to continue his winning streak after rearranging his life and joining the camp of Juanito Ibarra. As many predicted, this one goes 5 rounds with tons of good action throughout. A good example of the diversity in MMA with solid action on the ground, on the feet, and in the clinch.

Roger Huerta vs. Leonard Garcia at UFC 69 - Huerta became a de facto UFC posterboy when he was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated. That cover comes from this fight. Three rounds at the usual 5th gear lightweight tempo.

Tyson Griffin vs. Frankie Edgar
Tyson Griffin vs. Clay Guida - Two fights that are absolute wars that help re-solidify the UFC lightweight division.

Anderson Silva vs. Rich Franklin at UFC 77 - Don't let the results fool you, Rich Franklin is a very solid fighter. Anderson Silva is just that good right now. Not a very competitive fight, but this is a good example of what elite-level striking looks like. Franklin shows how game he is when he comes out for round 2.

I'm missing some stuff, but I think that's a good start.