View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Why soccer is the best sport for kids

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not what you'd call a soccer fan. But one of my daughters plays and she loves it. I got roped into coaching her Under-6 team in Virginia Beach because no one else volunteered. Of course the league was a "no score" league which I absolutely hated with a passion. So I kept score in my head during the first team. Right after the game the first thing the kids wanted to know was who won. That was with no prompting from me or any other of the parents. From there on out, the kids always knew the score at the end of the game. Kids aren't oblivious to competition and what it means, no matter how much people try to sugarcoat the sports playing experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, the no keeping score rule for the youngest age groups was always about keeping the game fun for the kids and keeping the parents from getting bent out of shape. At age 5, there is nothing wrong with making everyone a winner. However, at age 10, I agree that it's a crime against humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

My kids had ton of fun even when they lost the games where I told the score. How much fun the kids has nothing to do with the score and everything to do with the coach and parents attitude (at the age group we are talking about in this case).