View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Re: Case for South Florida and Virginia over USC, Oregon and Oklahoma?

I'm sorry, I seem to have lost you. My point had nothing to do with "only looking at W/L". My point is public perception is flawed which is why computer polls can be better at spotting things like maybe USF isn't that bad.

[ QUOTE ]
USC obviously has played like crap and doesn't deserve a high ranking, but they're also the most talented team in the country, and they play an extremely difficult schedule. If they run the table, they would, without question, have a serious argument as a NC contender.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, this helps me with my point. You have every reason to believe that there is no chance in hell that USC can "run the table" and yet you're talking about them as a NC contender. SC plays only plays a tough schedule if you consider the pac10 to be a particularily tough conference (which I happen to believe is true, but not the point). The opponents they have faced have been very weak and USC's 6-1 performance leaves much doubt as to their capabilities. Their 4 of their remaining games are Oregon, UCLA, ASU, and Cal. That is tough, but what they've played so far is not. Their OOC schedule is kind of a joke. Nebraska, Idaho, and ND? Of course, give them credit for scheduling tough opponents. 5 years ago, when they scheduled these games it looked like 2 very tough road games.

Also, MSU scored 2 defensive TDs to lose 24-17. That's not "scrapping by".

Again, though, this isn't about SC so much as the system which is designed to combat people not unlike yourself who have difficulty believing their eyes when their preconceived notions say otherwise.

I certainly agree that intellectually it does not make sense that USF could possibly be even the best team in Florida. In that state every floridian high school recruit will go to:
A) FSU
B) Fla
C) Miami
D) major out of state college
E) any one of many lesser colleges in Fl.

How could they possibly be the best team in Florida, much less in the top ten in the country. And yet, here they are putting up scores and notching wins that any team in the Big East would be proud of, and all but a select few programs would consider a very successful year so far.