View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Patraeus/Crocker Testimony

Quick report and views...

Patraeus has just finished speaking and the key point of his speech, IMO, is when he mentioned the fight is over the central political and resource powers. What should be drawn from this is the US coalition is responsible for the creation of this forum to be civilly warred over.

I further believe this shows how democracy doesnt work as a weapon against divided nations and the downfalls of political militarism.

Patraeus went on to show numerous reports with a definitely slanted analysis. For one, from what i could tell, he was always naming reductions in violence relative to peak periods. They weren't making clear where the surge started relative to the data as well.

The trends that didnt seem in favor were glossed over and not properly appreciated, nor was the core violence he lightly addressed early on. I couldnt see how he returned to explaining why the core violence is solved by any of these recent reductions, in certain parts, and what long term goals are to be expected.

How does any of the things he's doing or proposing to do stop the core problem he proposed of power struggle over political resources?

Another notable event is the people who are going to be charged and were thrown out for speaking out against the war after Patraeus' speech ended. This is of interest because the failure of the Iraqi government is being felt at home. In the US, like in Iraq, the whole people are not represented by the government!

Crocker is currently speaking so wont comment on him until later.