View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: A bit of a playalong from a video hand of mine..

[ QUOTE ]
K, so I checked the turn with the intention of folding. His range that he bets with (I'm not sure if he he bets gutshot+ace high hands like AK, AQ, A8, etc) is pretty far ahead of mine here and I don't think I've got sufficient odds to call the turn given that I'll rarely see him check behind on the river if we make it this far. I'm pretty sure but not positive he'd bet all pairs on the turn. He didn't seem very good and he was playing very aggressively overall so I can't say 100% that he'd bet all paired hands on the turn here but I'd give it a reasonable chance.

So I checked. And he checked.

The river was the 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] giving a 3-flush, 4-straight, and 4 overcards. Board J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Now normally I would valuebet the river when he checks behind on the turn because everyone pays off with Ace high way too often. But here I was puzzled and sat for a bit before making a decision. What do you do?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the key here is your read. We know he's going to bet with any pair, but also that he didn't like the turn enough to play it when you checked it to him.

Hands like AK, Axs etc. are definitely within his range and he's not likely to fold his pair, so bet-fold is a bad choice (you're not making him fold usually and the range of hands you beat that he'll call or bluff with is small).

Bet-call is out for the same reason. If he's raising you, you're sunk.

The pot is now 4BB. If you check-call you're not winning 1/5th of the time, so check-fold is the play.

Is it really valuebetting when you fire into such a small pot with such a weak hand? 1 bet to get 5 with low pair? No thanks.

I still disagree with the flop call, btw.