View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: SMP Outdoorsmen Poll

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are correct when you say that there is a correlation between theism and outdoor activity.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so? And do you think you've shown it with the poll.

And please explain this... let me give you my lengthy answer:
(1) When I was young I was Lutheran. Our family camped a lot so I spent a lot of time doing outdoorish activities.
(2) In college, I did a lot of soul searching and began to doubt my religion. In the beginning of my college career, I was at a campus with a lot of country/wilderness. Though my faith was waning, it was at this period that I probably spent the most time doing stuff outdoors - walks, hikes, camping, etc.
(3) Early years post college - Definitely an atheist. But lived in NYC. So I spent less time camping because I now had a job and lived in the city. It didn't help that I didn't have a car.
(4) 8 years back - started dating woman in Massachussetts. We did a lot of vacationing together. A lot of camping and renting cabins at places like Lake George. Lots of outdoorsy stuff. I'm still an atheist. She's basically agnostic.
(5) After she moved to NY - we spent cumulatively less time outdoors because we both lived in city. We still went camping perhaps twice a year. Still don't believe in God.
(6) We now live in CT and I commute to NY. I walk dog everyday in a beautiful park on the bay. Spend weekends in park quite often. Really enjoy the outdoors though somewhat casually since I have an infant and spend a lot more time at work... Still an atheist.

If you could just suggest how my belief and subsequent lack of belief about God can be correlated to my outdoor activity (obviously separating other factors like where I live, free time, money, etc.) it would be appreciated.

I think you're on to something.