View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Of Climate Models and Hurricane Predictions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Y: the severity of the consequences if those models were 100% accurate

Z: the cost of measures required to prevent those consequences

[/ QUOTE ]

This question is highlighted in the Stern Report and several others. Every major report from mainstream science, the pentagon, army corps of engineers and retired generals and admirals claims it's cheaper to act. Add in peak oil and many other factors and the pressure to get off of fossil fuels just increases and in a big way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read economist Bjorn Lomborg's book, The Skeptical Environmentalist?

He's a prominent environmentalist that argues the prevalent cost-benefit analysis accounting is all wrong. For example global warming will cause drought in some places, but didn't some research discover that overall global food production would increase at least temporarily? As well, comparing heath deaths to cold deaths; while global warming will increase heat deaths, it seems that cold conditions kill more human beings overall, so overall the shifted equilibrium becomes a net positive for human beings.

Here is a convenient TED talk to those uninformed, not technical at all (YouTube video).

I am grunching here and I apologize if your technical links addressed any of my concerns in the body of your posts. I am not as technically sophisticated on the issues as you and I'm appreciate "low-level" links.