View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Early House Report Card

Letter posted on EOG.com. I'll move Rep. Giffords to a "B".

-----------------------

June 27, 2007

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting me about internet gambling

On October 13. 2006, President Bush signed into law the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (FI.R. 4411), a bill that made it a federal crime to operate a gambling business online domestically or offshore. If I were in Congress last session, I would have voted against this bill.

The popularity of internet gaming is increasing every day. We need a comprehensive federal study that looks at the question of whether or not it can be effectively regulated and what role technology can play in accomplishing that goal. For this reason, I support the Internet Gambling Study Act (H.R. 2140), a bill introduced by Congresswoman Shelley Berkley. H.R. 2140 would provide for a study by the National Academy of Sciences to identify the proper response of the United States to the growth of Internet gambling. I believe Congress should study the effects of regulating the industry before banning all forms of online gambling.

With billions of dollars going from the U.S, to foreign Internet gaming operations, Congress should present U.S.-based gaming entities with an opportunity to provide safe and regulated Internet gaming options. The issue of Internet gaming should be thoroughly examined to assess how states and gaming entities might use technology and state regulations in order to ensure the safety and integrity of Internet gaming based in the U.S.

On April 26, 2007, Representative Barney Frank introduced the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007 (H.R. 2046), legislation that would reinstate internet gambling as a legal activity in the Untied States. This bill has been referred to the House Committees on Financial Services and Energy and Commerce. At the current time, no hearings on this bill have been scheduled. Rest assured that if it comes to the floor for a vote, I will keep your concerns in mind.

I always appreciate hearing from constituents, like you, who are informed and interested about issues of importance to Arizona and the nation. Please do not hesitate to contact me again in the future and sign-up for c-newsletter updates at Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

Sincerely,
Gabrielle Giffords
Member of Congress