View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Ask garcia1000 about Hong Kong

Lei Yue Mun is a place for seafood. What happens is that you see stalls of seafood vendors, and they are all selling seafood. Then you buy the seafood, and take it to a nearby restaurant. The restaurant will cook the seafood for you.

Here's a link to a photo of this: http://www.asia2002.gov.hk/press/pict/details_29.htm
Quote from that page: "Cantonese seafood is at its exquisite best in the seafront restaurants of Lei Yue Mun. Diners can choose their own fish from tank-fulls of options. They can get ripped off by the unscrupulous vendors there and buy overpriced crappy seafood."

This is a good idea for novelty reasons, but for visiting tourist gourmets it is a bad idea. Why?

1) The good seafood will go to the locals with whom the seafood vendors have an incentive to sell good stuff to for their repeat business.
2) Are you more qualified than the restaurant to choose good seafood?

Lei Yue Mun is also a tourist-type of place. I went there once and hated it. For fresh seafood in this style, I go to an out-of-the-way place in Yuen Long, but you won't have a chance of finding it on a tourist trip, and it's very local. Instead, you should go to Sai Kung for this. In addition to there being lots of expatriates there, there is also good seafood in the same style, and menus in English!

Here's a link to a picture of a Sai Kung: http://www.ust.hk/adchem2003/photo/DSC00320.jpg

Bargaining - This depends on where you buy things.
Do bargain in the following areas:
Non-branded computer and electronics stores (e.g. Golden Computer Centre, 298 Computer Centre)
Department stores
Do not bargain in the following:
All others

Club Bboss - This is a huge Japanese style nightclub. I haven't been in this place. I believe they give luxurious service to your penis?

If you are white, fit, and attractive, you shouldn't have any problems satisfying your penis in Lan Kwai Fong or similar bars or clubs. If you're black, you shouldn't have any problem if you also have game. I don't know much about these nightclubs. Sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]