View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Comparing WLLH 3rd edition to 2nd edition

Hi. A lot to cover here.

1 - Open limping: I do tell many students not to open limp. This is a function of the games they play in, the image they are trying to project, and the fact that forcing peopple to open raise keeps them from playing a number of hands that they should not play when first in. Of course hands have value that rises and falls with the number of players, the typical aggression level and the ability of the players to play post-flop. And yes, if a game is overwhelmingly loose-passive, I will open-limp with pocket pairs and some large suited connectors, among others.

2 - I am nevertheless more sensitive to position than many others seem to be. Even if you feel your game is loose and passive, some one may pick up a big pair behind you and raise, cutting down on the typical size of the field. If there are five limpers, I caertainly advocate (at least) limping on the button with JTs. Does that still give novices problems when they flop top pair? Yes. Might they still misplay? Yes. But at least they have made a definite correct play, and get to act last on all streets, giving them an incrementally better chance to play decently if not optimally. A novice limping up front might find himself in a number of far less desirable situations than the one described.

3 - I want to thank my students in this thread for leaping to my defense, and for their endorsements (and hi to Tina, too). I beg them to remember that each student gets different advice geared to his style, ability, goals, and the games they are playing in. I do not give generic advice in a one-size-fits-all fashion.

BarryT