View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 03:42 AM

Default Re: Judging your hand strength on different boards

[ QUOTE ]
while this seems easy in nl holdem because of the limited amount of starting hands and calculations necessary, in omaha i think it is more difficult.
are there any easy ways or helps to determine the quality distribution of our opponents hand on the flop/turn/river?
what i am interested in is the ratio of hands that didnt hit at all, have bad straight draws, good straight draws, (top)two pair, sets, combo draws, one pair.... be able to merge the opponents preflop range with the board texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting will tell you everything, even if you don't like this answer. Players call raises more liberally in PLO than in NLHE in my experience and there are so many more combinations that it is nearly impossible to put a caller on a narrow range of hands.

People usually play more honestly postflop and will only bet with a decent hand. Those who are bet frequently are more difficult to put on a hand.

The only way to know the strength of someone's hand is to observe his betting patterns. That is why you want to play in position and you usually not get involved if you don't have a good hand, draw or read. Bad players lose the most money by ignoring signs of strength and calling down with a bad two pair, 3rd nut flush draw on a paired board, etc.