View Single Post
Old 11-28-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Examples of why your dad is/was awesome

When my father and mother started dating, my dad was 40 and my mom was 20. This made my dad like three years younger than my mother's parents, and needless to say, they were not very happy that their little girl was now dating a 40 year old. Then add in the fact that my father was a hippie with hair halfway down his back and the only thing consistent about his job background was the inconsistency of it.

He was a writer and a poet and an actor she told them, but they thought he was a full of crap hippie. He was from California and he was telling stories of how he wrote plays and songs and knew movie stars, etc. Again, they thought this was all BS, a story that they couldn't refute but that their daughter, my mom, was eating up with a spoon.

Then, the first time my dad met them, they finish an extremely tense and awkward dinner and sit down to watch some television to ease the tension a bit, and the first thing that pops up on the TV is a rerun of the Merv Griffin Show. It's not on for ten seconds when my dad pops up on the television as a guest on the show.

My dad just sits there coolly and says "Oh hey, I never saw this one. Forgot that I was in it." My mother's parents just sat there speechless.

It's now been 27 years and I think they've finally warmed to him a little, but picturing my grandfather just grinding his teeth at the luck of my dad coming on the tv like that is hilarious to me.