View Single Post
Old 10-27-2007, 08:37 AM

Default my last post about this ever i promise.

if you do not want to read about my 2 options please hit the back button.

as i have mentioned many times in the [censored] thread, i have a job. it pays $55k, but the main thing it has very good prospects, in that it is with one of the top accounting firms in uk (and globe), it will pay about $100k after 3 years, then $150k after about 5 years, then slowly rise with then. in 15 years if i did well i could be on $500k and rising.

but this means spending my years going to work week after week. good opportunity is to work abroad after 3 years.

i could leave firm after 3 years, and be able to take a year off, play poker for a year, see how that goes, if it goes badl then go work at a bank or something, earn $100k a year, this would be a guarentee pretty much.

basically the argument is that i've done relatively well throughout my exams since age 16 till now (23) and all of that would have been kinda pointless if i then never profit from it. whereas if i stuck it out for 3 years, i could go to most countries in the world and get a good job.

but then there is playing poker as a job. i've never enjoyed it more, i've never felt i've been playing better, and i genuinely think i am at last a pretty good player.

but what do i do in 3 years say? if it all goes according to plan and i make say $500k a year for the next 3 years, i'd have approaching $2m in the bank. but what then? do i still wake up and sit in front of a laptop? will i be happy with this?

sorry, i know ive gone over all this before, but this is a pretty massive decision, and i just dont know what to do. in 10 years time would i look back on and think i made the right decision?

i just cant see myself being that happy with a normal hard working job, but then will i have massive regrets if i [censored] up at poker and my life goes pear shaped.

i guess it's a classic bigger risk = much better outcome or much worse outcome. am i willing to take the gamble?

also ill have right in front of me what would of happened had i not of taken the gamble - my brother. he qualified as an accountant, doesnt like the job but it pays well, he'll likely go on to be a very successul businessman, likely earning $250k+ in due course and have a great house, go on cool holidays etc. but then he does say to me how bored he finds it.

sorry i know this is a strategy forum, but i figure a lot of people in the forum can understand the situation.

also i am not moaning about this, i know i am lucky to have 2 potentially prosperous options, but as with anything, its not what the options are, its about making the right decision.

thoughts much appreciated.