Thread: Bans
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Bans

[ QUOTE ]

Could this statement be part of the problem? My general opinion is that rules are for people that lack the ability to utilize common sense. If people are not understanding the rules maybe there is a problem with 'that specific rule' and not the posters.

[/ QUOTE ]

hi jim,

in general, the difficulty with OOT is that it has a particular culture that has developed, in part, out of the arbitrary nature of its rules, and their subjective enforcement by mods. my job is very different from [censored] - nobody wants me to be like [censored] and i don't want to either. but his style still defines the way some of the older OOT posters think about rules and moderation in that forum.

it sounds kind of dumb but part of the reason OOT's core posters like OOT is that you have to put in a little bit of effort to understand the rules and forum culture.

but then when you get too comfortable with certain aspects of those rules as a mod, suddenly you find out people are actually sick of that part, and they want to emphasize something else.

short answer, yeah, it does make it more difficult for everyone.

someone may want to come along and remake the whole forum eventually... being a crotchety old timer i am trying to just make do with inevitable, gradual change.

i think a lot of this difficulty with ambiguous or unspoken rules starts to come up when forums explode in size, like 2p2 has.