View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Who knows stuff about Kegerators?

[ QUOTE ]
Yaboosh,

Given a lot of the info in your post, its obvious that to you - and probably lots of brewers - "skunky" does indeed indicate a specific off flavor. To the other 200 million beer drinkers in the US, it means "gross." So you're right, but really missing the forest for the trees, particularly since I was trying to help out someone who didn't have a ton of understanding on the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if it weren't for the fact that a skunked beer actually smells like a skunk, I would buy the fact that some people just think gross = skunk. But I think many people smell skunk, because they know what skunk smells like, and don't realize it is because their Corona or Newcastle is in a clear bottle, or because their Bud Light has sat out in the sun or in front of a fluorescent light for a bit too long.

But yes, I do agree with you that many people misuse the word skunky, but I think it is helpful to the person who may not understand that it is not temperature that makes their beer taste like a skunk's ass, but merely light. Drinkers of Corona and Heineken would be most likely to benefit from such advice. Heineken out of a can is a wonderful experience. Out of a bottle....ermm...not so much.