View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Forum Project Step 2-3

Ok, I'm having a problem already that illustrates the value that someone mentioned in choosing a webhost that offers Fantastico. I've spent a pretty big chunk of my day trying to get Drupal installed with my host, but I'm having an issue with one of the installation steps.

Basics for installing Drupal that I've gotten done so far:

1. Downloaded the most recent stable version in a zipped file (.gz) to my local machine
2. Used WinZip to extract the file into an unpacked folder
3. Used FTP to move all of the drupal files to the root public folder (www) of my site
4. Activated MySQL on my site and created a MySQL database.

Here's where I'm stuck. The next step in the drupal installation is to copy the structure of one of the drupal databases to the new MySQL database. My host's MySQL interface is web based and rudimentary at best, so to follow the drupal instructions I need to be able to run some basic commands on the server, which requires some form of telnet access. (I think, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

My host uses SSH (a secure form of Telnet) access, which they have enabled on my account. I am attempting to connect using a free SSH program called Putty, but it keeps telling me that the server is unexpectedly closing the network connection.

Can someone familiar w/ SSH and RSA Key authentication please give me a little help? PM me if you don't mind so we can keep from cluttering up everyone else's basic questions in this thread. If not I will continue trying to get answers from my hosting service.

Oh, by the way, Fantastico is a service that will automatically install programs like Drupal and Joomla to your site so you don't have to wade through the mountain of techno-babble I'm dealing with. I would recommend finding a host that offers it.