View Single Post
Old 11-26-2007, 11:20 PM

Default 3rd hand of a big MTT potentially misplayed, advice needed.

I recently played in a MTT with over 600 people at the Borgata in AC. We all started with $6,000 in chips and the 3rd hand of the tournament I was dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button. I limped in for $50 after two other players limped in front of me.

The small blind then proceeded to raise to $400, but to my surprise the big blind and the two other limpers called the extra $350. At this point the pot was $1,650 and it would cost me another $350 to call. I knew I was dominated by at least one opponent, but getting over 5-1 on a call and having the button I decided to call.

FLOP: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Everyone checked to me, so with my top pair with the King kicker I bet $850.
The small blind (the original pre-flop raiser) folded, so did the big blind, but the first player who entered the pot just min raises me to $1,700. The next player folded and it was back to me.

This obviously seemed like a value raise, but i felt like just for another $850 into $4,650 pot, I had to call.

TURN: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BOARD: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

My opponent now bets $2,000 into the pot, and left me with a tough decision. Do I let my pair of 10's go with the nut flush draw to go along with it, or do I call $2,000 more and leave myself with less then $2,000 chips if I lose. This is only the 3rd hand of the tournament and if I don't improve and am forced to fold to a big bet on the river, i'll be crippled.

I calculated the outs that I had at the present moment, and figured that any [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] any King or any 10 and I would be good. That leaves me with 14 outs. The pot after my opponents $2,000 bet is $6,650. By the turn Im almost a 30% favorite to win and Im getting a little more then 3-1 on my call. So i called

RIVER: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

My opponent slows up and checks. I check ( I could of pushed and put him to tough decision. Any 9 and I have a Jack high straight. But I decided not to, because he has just as many chips invested in this pot as I do and felt he couldn't fold unless he was on a pure bluff or busted draw.)

My opponent flips his hand over to reveal 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for a set
and takes down a pot worth $8,650

My Question: Because it was only the 3rd hand of the tournament, should I have folded on the turn even though I was getting the proper price to call or wait for a better spot to play this type of hand? Was all my decision making correct?