View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Why are value investor types so rigidly opposed to TA?

If there's one thing I noticed while browsing these boards for the last few years is that very few people understand what both TA and FA really are. There are a lot of misconceptions on both ideas from the practitioners of both sides. I think being focused on one side makes it difficult to "get it" because it is fundamentally very different from your core philosophy. I think this is readily seen when TAers make comments on Buffett since they probably don't follow him closely and/or only get exposure through him on WSJ, CNBC, etc., and surprisingly those news outlets tend to not always depict an accurate picture of who he really is (e.g. rumors of him buying a stake in Countrywide confused speculation that he might just be buying a loan servicing unit from them). His "style" has likely changed over time from pure-Graham during the partnership days to now 85% Graham and 15% Fisher.

I find FA much more intuitive, whereas my friends are trading with TA big time. Value investors oppose TA so rigorously since it has nothing to do with their core philosophy. The same can be said about anything that fundamentally disagrees with the core of TA. Both are profitable strategies.