View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 06:29 PM

Default Re: The Well: Adanthar (1/16/07)

[ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing: most 18-24 year olds in this game right now have gone from zero to six figures without ever making any stops along the way. As a result, you get lots of yvesaints and not much else to show for it when the roll takes a hit for whatever reason. You also get tons of stress, because poker is such a high variance game (for you especially) and the self-confidence you need to win can vanish at any point. Add in this whole poker groupie BS and the fact that all your friends your age are either spending four figs a night or happen to be sandwich artists...it's a [censored] up environment to grow up in. I might be the old man of this poker generation, but I'm very sure I'm right about this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Adanthar,
Don't you think this can apply to people of all ages who come into money quickly through poker ie Chris Moneymaker etc?

I know many people under 22 who have tons of money yet manage it very well. While many of them spend 4 figs at night at a bar on occasion they also have 100's of thousands invested or saved.

Also I agree that variance can be killer mentally but that if you practice proper BR managment and more importantly play at a level your comfotable at you should be fine. I was overrolled for 5/10 yet played 2-4 and 3-6 until I was comfotable with taking the associated swings.

Also these are more comments then questions but I really enjoyed reading the thread....question mark?