View Single Post
Old 06-30-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Marrying a Girl From a Different Culture

Interesting topic. My brother, who is Vietnamese(adopted), at first wanted nothing more than a blond-haired, blue-eyed, all-American girl. So he married one. She was a nice girl, but pretty dim, and after a kid and a good try at keeping it going, they split. He has dated all kinds of women since then, but wound up settling with a Vietnamese woman. I think it would be hard to picture him without some variation of an Asian woman. As he says to me, "As long as you find your way home again, Asian women let you have your fun." The lady herself seems to confirm as much.

She's also very polite, and has that old-country thing going about not trying to wear the pants in the family, and doing the stereotypical homemaker type stuff, always having food ready, that kind of thing. That's pretty hard for a guy to resist. Many American women have traded that sort of thing, the typical "woman's part of the bargain," in for a career, but quite a few have abandoned that sort of thing without replacing it with anything else. That's one reason Asian women are getting ever more popular.

Btw Katie, I'm a German guy. Became naturalized just before my teens. We tend to like order, clarity, and stand on politeness. If there is such a thing as a German national character, it loves its forests and is a bit of a romantic. If we see an open door in the house, we tend to close it. There seems to be a certain natural respect we lend toward each other that I see in some Asian cultures, but not really so much in America.