View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Kinda simple Preflop spot v Tmay in 109r

[ QUOTE ]
Curtains, what do you mean/why with:

"I'm pretty certain that from a theoretical standpoint you should be raising that hand here."

I fold AJ (and 77 too) utg at a full table with these stacks and dont really feel bad about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I mean is that if everyone at the table plays with some kind of perfect game theory, I'm almost certain that you should be raising hands like AJ UTG here. For example you can raise to 2500 and be immediately breaking even if they simply fold 50% of the time. Even including weaker hands like AJ into your range will still give you a very powerful range, so that no one can just screw around and decide to try to bluff you, because in the longrun you will have too strong a calling range.

I dunno, Im writing this fast, and maybe not explaining well, but I suspect that if you raise AJo, the opponents will simply not have hands that should be in their reraising range often enough for your raise to be incorrect.

If they want to screw around and try to make some move on you, good luck to them, they wont enjoy it so much when you have AA-TT, AK etc, which you will have a pretty decent percentage of the time because your raising range is not that wide. If they decide to call preflop, you have a reasonable hand to play with.

The difference between antes and no antes is monumental here though, and I suspect that from a theory standpoint its much closer without the antes. I mean if you raise to 2500 with no antes you have to succeed like 64% of the time instead of 50%. The difference between these two figures is so huge that if you aren't expanding your range with antes in play, you are almost certainly playing badly. From the sound of things, most people here are raising nearly the exact same range with the antes as without, as I can't imagine anyone is folding AQ UTG without antes in play.