View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 10:21 PM

Default Re: 55$ QJ sorted UTG. blinds 50/100

My guess is that this is probably a marginally profitable play. The stacks are beautifully situated for a steal from UTG == almost perfect. No shorties, no big stacks in the blinds, everybody kind of marginal.

Also, QJs is a good hand to be doing this with, in case somebody calls you and you have to play a flop. If the flop doesn't hit or give you a draw, then you can safely fold knowing you are behind (unless it's the BB who called you, in which case I'm pushing any flop he checks to me). With a hand like 22 or 33, I would prefer a push to a raise, as almost every flop will look ugly to you.

Regardless of your opponent's level of expertise, a 3xbb raise from UTG with 11bbs looks HUGE to them. Especially if you have been reasonably tight. Nobody is going to want to play back at you unless they have a very good hand.

I estimate that you need to steal the blinds 67% of the time for this to be break-even, since you are raising 300 chips to steal 150 chips. In order to steal the blinds 67% of the time, your opponent's calling/pushing range needs to be 88+,AJs+,AQo+. If the table has been reasonably tight and you have been reasonably tight, I'll bet that you can do better than that. For example, I would expect that the CO's and MP1's pushing range to be quite a bit tighter than that.

With 1100 chips and the blinds 100/50 and the blinds about to hit me again, I am willing to make a high-variance play, if I think there's a decent chance that the play is +EV. I would say that this play qualifies.