View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Don\'t come home until u is sobern! (NC Thread)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol ozzies!! it's a holiday in the states. wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. we get to party and you are at the workz workin on work thingz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111 1111111111111111onhundredeleven11!!! party in the USAAAAAAAA <--=-added for emphasis

chers,
buzz

<font color="white">lol</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
For anyone who might not be aware it's probably worth explaining the origins of Veteran's Day. Veteran's Day was originally Armistice Day, a memorial to the end of fighting in the Great War (WWI). The Great War armistice occurred on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month, in other words November 11th. This is a day of great significance in the UK, France and Belgium. In the US we also celebrated it but at some time in the intervening years it became a day to honor all of our soldiers and it got moved to the nearest convenient Monday in November. Certainly meaningful but no longer as specific.

Aussies and New Zealanders also find significance in the day, no doubt, but they hold their most significant memorials on a different day - 25 April, known as ANZAC Day. That date memorializes the landings of ANZAC troops on the Gallipoli pensinsula in 1915 and the horrific losses they suffered in bitter, gallant, and ultimately fruitless fighting. Like Veteran's Day for us it has also been extended to soldiers lost in other wars but the original reason for the day remains more significant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good FYP! My post was sort of tongue-in-cheek (plus drunkern)...also apologies to the USA'ians who are working today.

Side note: is anyone an avid(ish) skier? I have some questions, if you can aim me: copremesa

Buzz