View Single Post
Old 06-07-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: Party Poker, 50NL, and the state of things

Ama, dude, I have so many issues with this post. I'll mention 5 and might come back for more tomorrow...(I'm tired so this is a bit of a rant)...

.................................................. .....

1. Some of us who are complaining about PP never played there in the "old days". So it is not a question of relativity, it's a question of absolutes. I couldn't give a rat's ass about PP in 2005. I care about PP today. So let's park the first 2 paras of your post as I think they are irrelevent.

.................................................. ......

2. There are so many contradictory explanations of your downswing. Actually, there are 3:

a. Bad play
[ QUOTE ]
Countless errors. Preflop. Postflop. Combo-street errors. Bet size errors. Read errors. Aggression errors. I realised that I didn't even bother to count my outs anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

b. Bad luck
[ QUOTE ]
Of my 10bi, Id say about 5-6 were genuine bad beats.

[/ QUOTE ]

c. "Sometimes you have to lose"
Here, I cross ref your post from a few weeks ago stating that sometimes you have to lose with the best hand (which I'm sure everyone remembers).

So which is it? You seem all over the place on this. If it is all three, then I think your downswing is exactly the same as recent downswings by Trig or me. In fact, it would be a bit ironic if your post was essentially the same as other DS-moaning posts, but the above quotes seem to suggest it might be mate!

Further, neither Trig nor I said our DSs were 100% bad beats. Sure, you might get that impression from our moaning posts that we think that, but that does not mean we are not aware of LOADS of bad plays and LOADS of standard 70/30 situations not holding up. All these things go together and anyone with half a brain should be able to understand this.

This is why I disagree with this too...

[ QUOTE ]
But you are so [censored] deluded if you think you can have a 10bi+ ds at 50nl and play every hand perfect. NO WAY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody ever said you play every hand perfectly during a DS. But the small technical errors you mention like incorrect bet sizing or too little aggression explain a bad winrate, but they do not explain a 17BI DS. Surely you can agree with that? The former is about dropping marginal edges that would boost a wr. The latter is about a perfect storm of bad beats, losing too many 60/40's in a row and a few big mistakes. Jesus, as I showed with the above quotes from your posts, you have admitted as much yourself!

.................................................. .......

3. Back to your 10BI downswing. Firstly, good job admitting it because lots of people don't. But here's the thing...how do you know it won't turn into a 17BI's DS? That's a very thin line....is there really that big a difference between a 10 and 17 BI downswing? I really don't think so. You get 2 quick AA-KK situations tomorrow morning, tilt 2 more away after that and boom!, suddenly it's 14BI's. So when you say...

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody who is a winning player below NL25 should ever, ever be going on a 17bi ds

[/ QUOTE ]

...I think you are on very thin ice there.

.................................................. ...

4. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr....

[ QUOTE ]
If you just go "durr raise 18% preflop" and do not consider how this fits into your game as a whole... well [censored] yeah, youre gonna lose a LOT of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ama, you think that people trying to improve their game here read that durrr raises 18% of hands and then do that too? Jesus man, you're here every day, you see people debating in threads. How in the name of Christ have you come to the conclusion that "people, myself included, just do not think about their games". This is NONSENSE. Some of us think about our games all day (I know you probably do from the quality of your posts).

But thinking about the game IS NOT THE SAME as being able to put it readily into practice. You seem to be saying that if you think about your game you'll automatically improve. Garbage. It is not that simple.

For exapmple, I understand 3betting light can be profitable. I've seen posts about it. I've thought about it. But do I do it? No, not very often. Why? Precisely because I am thinking about the WHY of 3b light. But thinking about it is not the same thing as being good enough (or, having the skill) to fix the problem. But that does not mean people are merely pressing buttons like robots.

Fwiw, I agree that we ALL get into bad habits, but that is different to what you are talking about above, which seems to me to be about a more profound laziness that I simply don't recognise from many poster here.

Fwiw, I don't even know who durrr is.

.................................................. ....

5. Next...this para...

[ QUOTE ]
So instead of saying "wow I'm leaving Party the games are so tough

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see anyone saying this. My last post on this matter merely said the players at PP aren't so bad that the lack of RB makes it overwhlemingly worthwhile playing there. It is probably a marginal call one way or the other.

[ QUOTE ]
maybe you should say "there's a huge chance that I suck. I should look into that"

[/ QUOTE ]

People admit this on these forums every day. My loaction admits as much for Chrissakes - with absolutely ZERO irony. I get the impression that 95% of uNL regs are fully aware of their limitations. So I don't think it's fair to suggest they are unaware of this fact.

[ QUOTE ]
and start trying to play in such a way that you don't need rb to turn a nice profit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you are not suggesting wilfully giving up an edge the size of 1ptbb/100+? Isn't wr + rb > wr alone? If yes, then it is utter nonsense to decray people saying they won't go without RB. And of course the pursuit of a better wr need not preclude the pursuit of better rb...the 2 can go together.

Finally, obviously this post is made in the spirit of healthy debate and I mean no edge to come across at all.