View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Absolute Morality

Chez,

You are missing my point. I am saying that there is a perspective that you can take on ethics that encompasses all other approaches to moral theory. Genetic proliferation and survival are simply it's basis - because they are so pervasive. The fact is, you can still believe in truth, justice, empathy, and live your life by those standards, but your actions can also be explained through a method of genetic proliferation.

My contention is that no matter what form of ethics is behind it, it can be deduced beyond your immediate desires. What you want is only the skin covering the skeleton. It can be broken down (and believe me, if you explained your life story to me and your perspective of those events, I could deduce all the components of your moral framework, without hearing your opinions on any moral issue).

In a sense, I am claiming that people's morality is a predictable aspect of nature, just like everything else. You shouldn't believe that you have choice in the matter of deciding your morality, because ultimately you do not, regardless of your opinion, because the circumstances of your life determine how you interpret every following circumstance that you encounter.

We all assume the position (not the action) that is ultimately best for ourselves, and our actions fall from there, even if that means doing things that aren't good for ourselves. There's an inherent structure to moral decision making, and that's what I'm preaching we should teach people about.